Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Peanut Butter Bars







We are in the whirl wind of the school year. My tennis player, Mini Me is a senior this year, so sadly it is my last year with what has been a fantastic group of girls, parents and coaches. Each season the team starts off with a spaghetti dinner. It’s a great time for the players, especially the freshmen who are new to both the school and the team. The past two years Mini Me and her friend Nica have hosted the dinner, last year at our house and this year at Nica’s. Part of my assignment for this year's dinner was dessert, so I came up with these fast and easy to make  peanut butter bars, which taste like a crunchie Reeses.   Boy Mimi was so sad that the girls ate all of cookies, I ended up making a second pan for the boys to eat after their football game.





Peanut Butter Bars




2 cups  finely crushed graham cracker (about 15)
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
1 1/4cup peanut butter
4 oz butter
8 oz chocolate

Butter (spray with PAM) a 9x13 pan.

In a medium bowl mix cracker crumbs and sugar together. Melt butter and peanut butter together (microwave works great - about 45 sec on high) stir to combine and pour over crumbs and sugar, stir with a wooden spoon to thoroughly mix together. Press into prepared pan. I use the bottom of a measuring cup to get the mixture firmly packed. Melt chocolate and spread over the top of crumb mixture. Chill until firm then cut in desired size cookies. I like to score the bars once the chocolate has set, but not hard yet, this makes for easier cutting of the cookies.

Note: I used the Trader Joe's pound plus chocolate bar on one pan and chocolate chip on the other. 
I was able to temper the chocolate bar and the chocolate layer had a nice crisp snap to it.  Chocoalte chips on the other hand can't be tempered.  Although I am not sure the kids noticed the difference, I missed the snap!





Reblog this post [with Zemanta]